Tuesday 24 March 2015

Angelina Jolie has ovaries and fallopian tubes removed



                               Angelina Jolie

Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie on Tuesday, March 24, disclosed that she has undergone more preventive surgery, having her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed in hopes of reducing her risk of cancer.

Writing in the New York Times, the Oscar-winning and philanthropist said that a recent blood test showed a possible early sign of cancer. She wasn't happy with the news, as she has already had a double mastectomy.

In the article, titled Angelina Jolie Pitt: Diary of a Surgery, she said a blood test revealed "a number" of elevated inflammatory markers that could be a sign of early cancer, and was told to see a surgeon immediately.

So she decided to undergo a surgery last week as she carries a gene that gave her a 50% risk of developing ovarian cancer.

"It is not easy to make these decisions. But it is possible to take control and tackle head-on any health issue," she wrote.

Jolie, who is married to Hollywood actor Brad Pitt, said "the beautiful thing about such moments in life is that there is so much clarity. You know what you live for and what matters. It is polarizing, and it is peaceful."

Further tests revealed Jolie was free of a tumour, but chose to have her ovaries removed after consulting doctors. Her mother, grandmother and aunt all died of the disease.

"My doctors indicated I should have preventive surgery about a decade before the earliest onset of cancer in my female relatives," said Jolie.

she added: "It is not possible to remove all risk, and the fact is I remain prone to cancer. I will look for natural ways to strengthen my immune system. I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for my family and myself.

"I know my children will never have to say: "Mom died of ovarian cancer."

No comments:

Post a Comment